Calvert County Health Department

Local (410) 535-5400, DC Metro (301) 855-1353, Annapolis (410) 269-2216

Personal Health

CommunityServices

Health Threats


Health Topics 					A-Z
Contact Directory
About Our Agency
Links to Organizations
Public Health
Mosquito

Zika Awareness in MarylandThe Zika virus and its resulting illness were first identified in the Zika forest of Uganda in the 1940’s, although it has likely been present in tropical Africa for much longer. It was first detected in the Americas last year in Brazil and has since been found as far north as Mexico and the Caribbean Islands. The illness seems to be primarily transmitted through mosquito bites. The only evidence of human-to-human spread is through sexual contact. There is no indication that the virus is spread through cough, sneeze, or skin contact.

80% of people who are bitten by infected mosquitoes do not get sick. The remaining 20% have symptoms ranging from mild joint aches and low-grade fevers to the equivalent of a bad case of the flu. There have not been any deaths linked to Zika. > Learn More

Health Department Offering Free Overdose Response Training The Health Department is hosting a series of Naloxone trainings. The next one takes place on July 19, 2016 at Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad & Fire Department. Naloxone is a medication used to reverse the effects of opioids especially in overdose and has been proven to save lives. Free Naloxone kits will be provided to those who complete the training. Registration is required. > More Info

Public Health Updates

Calvert Beaches

Calvert County Beach Advisories
View the status of beaches in Calvert County, Maryland. The Health Department conducts routine water sampling and posting of public bathing beaches on a predetermined monitoring schedule from Memorial Day through Labor Day. > More Info

VA Mobile Vet Center

Veterans Affairs Mobile Vet Center Southern MD
The mobile vet center provides veterans access to VA personnel that can help them with benefit and eligibility issues as well as making appointments for counseling with local VA counselors. Families of veterans are also encouraged to visit. > Learn More

Hurricane

Hurricane Season is Near
Hurricane season starts on June 1st and runs through the end of November. In a quiet season it is easy to forget how potentially devastating a hurricane can be. Hurricanes are dangerous and destructive. It's never too early to start preparing. > Learn More

Raccoon

Rabies Prevention
Rabies is a deadly disease that can be transmitted from an animal infected with rabies to unvaccinated pets and to people. If untreated, rabies is almost always fatal. Rabies is known to exist in all counties in Maryland. ... > More Info

 


  • June 29, 2016
    Tobacco Retailer Compliance Award Ceremony
    5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
    Harriet E. Brown Community Center > More Info
  • July 19, 2016
    Overdose Response Training
    7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
    Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad & Fire Department
    > More Info
  • August 16, 2016
    Overdose Response Training
    7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
    Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department
    > More Info

          Hours of Operation:
    Monday – Friday (excluding     holidays) 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.     Community Health clinics end
    at 4:30 pm. In case of inclement     weather, please call
410-535-5400

    For After Hours Public Health     Emergencies Contact the Control     Center at: 410-535-3491

http://twitter.com/CalvertHealth facebook
Site Policy | Contact Directory | Privacy Statement | Social Media Policy
975 Solomons Island Road North, PO Box 980, Prince Frederick, MD 20678 | (410) 535-5400 | Fax: (410) 535-5285
Crisis Hotline (410) 535-1121 • (301) 855-1075
© Calvert County Health Department