Calvert County Health Department
As adolescents progress through the pre-teen and teen stages, they experience many risk behaviors that may result in emotional, academic, and health problems that follow them throughout their lives. Such experiences include: violence, the use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, and sexual behaviors that can lead to unwanted pregnancies as well as sexually transmitted diseases.
Did you Know…
- 4 out of 10 teens in the U.S. will get pregnant at least once before they are 20 years old.
- 2005 in Calvert County has seen an increase in teen pregnancies for 13-17 year olds.
- 1 in 4 sexually active teens will have a sexually transmitted infection.
- 25% of all reported cases of Chlamydia in Calvert County were 13-19 year olds.
- The number of 15-19 year olds with Gonorrhea has doubled in the past year.
- Research shows that the likelihood of the first sexual experience increases with the number of hours teens spend unsupervised.
- 68% of 13-18 year olds report their first sexual encounter occurred in their family’s home, their partner’s family home, or a friend’s house AFTER SCHOOL OR ON SUNDAY.
- In homes where parents talk openly and honestly about sexuality, teens are less likely to have sexual intercourse.
- When you talk to your child openly and honestly about sexuality, YOU have the chance to impart your values and hear their concerns in order to give them the tools they need to make healthy choices.
Related links for Relationships, Sexuality Education and Teen Pregnancy Prevention:
American Psychological Association site for young people about respect in dating relationships and how to get help.
A web site to empower parents and caregivers to communicate with their children about sexuality-related issues and to provide tools to help families communicate about these issues.
American Social Health Association Teen Health and Awareness site provides answers about teen sexual health and sexually transmitted diseases.
Informative site for parents, kids, and teens.
Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases for Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Maryland AIDS Administration for information and statistics.
The site for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.
An award-winning sexual health web site for teens committed to giving you the facts about sex so that you can use this information to make your own responsible choices.